• Nest EggThere’s a BIG shift happening in the marketplace and in society as a whole. Consciousness is changing, awareness is increasing and people long for real connection. In our almost too technical world there’s a need for some simple truth.

We are bombarded with email messages, tweets, text messages, podcast, radio commercials, television ads, voice mail, phone calls, Facebook messages, Skype calls and more. Because of all this noise we cannot help but feel a bit overwhelmed… or maybe it’s underwhelmed?

The marketing noise has gotten out of hand and it’s even more difficult to capture and keep attention. That means your message needs to be sticky. And I don’t mean aggressive, pushy or over the top. I mean you have to create gooey messages infused with your values. The values your business and credibility are built on. Because your values equal value. They create trust, respect and loyalty over time.

The funny thing is not enough business owners are paying attention to the impact values have on value. Think about the companies and people you choose to do business with. What are the common qualities? Why do you choose to do business with them? Chances are your decisions are based on value. This includes how the business makes you feel (their brand essence). This likely doesn’t mean they are the loudest in the marketing crowd or the least expensive. What it does mean is they stand for something and you believe in what that is. They have created value by infusing values in what they do. There is consistency, clarity and follow through. They deliver and when they speak or market you listen.

Think about your own values for a moment.

• Do you infuse values in everything you do?
    • Does what you do create more value?
    • Have you based your mission statement, both personal and professional, on those values?

If not you may want to reassess how you’re doing business and especially how you’re marketing.

Communication counts. Our words are gold. Values equal value. There’s a reason many of the marketing messages out there aren’t sticking. They lack values and value.

I share more about this in my program How to Create Marketing Messages With Integrity: Attract your ideal clients with your authentic voice (I know, I know… the word authentic is being tossed around too lightly in many arenas — so is integrity — that’s why this work is so important). In this program I also expand upon my “Challenge.Solution.Invitation.™”” marketing and copywriting formula as seen in Inc. Magazine.  The program speaks to my ideal clients, female entrepreneurs, and rest assured gentlemen, you’ll gain value from it, too.

Something else to consider is that once you’re clear on your values, you’ll be able to easily attract your ideal clients instead of chasing not so ideal clients. Here’s more on that.

Want a valuable resource to help you create marketing messages with integrity? Join the Write On Creative Community and claim your complimentary Copywriting Action Plan.

32 responses to “Values Equal Value”

I like the concept of “gooey” messages. The word “compelling” is SOOOO overused (even though it is a good word). Gooey and value-laden. 🙂

2. Tara Powers says:

Lisa – When I started aligning my business decisions with my core values, everything changed! It’s now so much easier to say no to things that are not in alignment with my values and it feels soooo much better. I am being authentic in my business and with my customers and it completely has transformed my business!

Tara,

I am beyond thrilled for you. Values do matter and that reminds me of another blog post I wrote about choosing our ideal clients instead of chasing not-so-ideal clients. It takes time for it all to come together but when it does “look out world”. I’m excited to see what’s next for you.

3. Amen, Sister!!

I wrap up my book “Be True Rich” with an exploration of values. It is so important to be clear on what you value and what your values are to live a good life.

Keep preaching! 😉

Love, Katherine

Katherine C. H. E.
      Author, Be True Rich

Thanks Katherine,

Great minds. I’ve found there are really three key areas where people struggle when it comes to their marketing message and I address all of them in my program How to Create Marketing Messages With Integrity.

I’m feeling extremely blessed that my message is landing so solidly with so many people.

4. Jessica says:

When I used to do values exercises, I would list what I wanted to value, at least that’s what I discovered years later when I looked back and realized I wasn’t living the life that I valued I was imagining a life I wanted. Now my values are in alignment with the life I’m living.

5. I love talking about values Lisa! I believe high integrity values are the starting point for someone to become a true expert in their field.One may be good at what they do, but what are their values that uphold what they do, let alone have the ability to speak about it from that point of view, that’s where your expertise comes in!

Sheila,

Yes values and what we stand for are a big part of how we show up both personally and professionally. I try to infuse my values in everything I do and I think that’s why my business continues to thrive and I LOVE what I do.

6. You are so right – marketing noise has reached a fever pitch and value is the way to rise above it. Consistency, clarity and follow through – love those three words to describe marketing.

Doreen,

I couldn’t agree more. I find it ironic that I actually had one woman question why value and values are important in marketing. Hmmm…

Character, integrity and being authentic will always trump
      the noise.
      Mitch

8. I think you hit the nail on the head!
      Sticking power = values and value.

Carmen,

Yes! You are correct — In order to be successful in business especially for the long run we must infuse our values to add value in everything we do.

9. Tiffany deSilva says:

I couldn’t agree with you more on this, Lisa. I created my business around my personal values of support and collaboration with others, as well as philanthropy and contributing to the greater good. Then I coupled those values with my mission to help women maximize their financial power so that they can make a bigger difference in the world. It is so important to have a business that stands for something–a business that actually matters. When you have this, people are more likely to pay attention to your message and your mission.

10. This is so true and such an important component for all businesses! I really resonate with this: “Our words are gold. Values equal value.”
      Thanks

11. Lisa you are right on the pointy end here – I love values as a basis for sustainable commercial enterprise so much that my company is even named Leading Values. Even in our new project offering UQ Power we built the company and all it will offer around the values first – you can read our values and see how important they are to us here http://www.uqpower.com.au/our-values

12. “Gooey Messages” Now that made me chuckle. It’s true values do play a much bigger part on the buying decision than people realize.

When you really dig into WHY you are buying, or WHY you are choosing to hire someone, it often isn’t because of the features listed on their sales or services pages, but because of what they stand for, the values they hold important, and the way you feel when interacting with them.

13. Great topic, great posts.

I think our values are the cornerstone of who we are and they flow into all areas of our lives.

As you said Jennifer I too think that values play a part in the buying decision.

14. Love this, Lisa – it IS getting too moisy out there!-) I use my customer service philosophy (high service/high value) to guide all of my marketing messages and am really clear on how I want to show up (and how I don’t) Sadly, many don’t have the same filters and I’m sure they’re paying the price for that:(

15. Linda Ursin says:

I do my best to include authenticity, freedom, and fulfillment in what I do, and it seems a lot of the other entrepreneurs I connect with have at least one of those in common.

Linda,

It’s great to see you here. When we use our values as a compass and guiding force for all that we do, we get better results and WAY more satisfaction from our work. Clarity helps us attract a like-minded tribe and our lives and work become even more enriched.

Pure magic.