• When I was a little girl I dreamed of owning a horse. You might say I was horse crazy. I read books about them (Clementine, Black Beauty and more). I tried to draw them. I collected them (the plastic ones, of course, although I wanted to collect the real thing).
    My best friend who lived next-door had a pony and we’d tromp around town bareback on lazy summer days with nothing else on the agenda. One summer there was a horse named Joy pastured adjacent to our property.  She was beautiful, I’d feed her apples every chance I got and on occasion I got to ride her.  This added to my horse obsession. I even joined horsemanship in 4-H (without a horse) as an attempt to show my parents I was truly horse- worthy (this didn’t work by the way).

Recently I opened a bottle of Silver Pony Cabernet and it reminded me of my former horse obsession. I recalled a trip to an antique store with my mom where I found a porcelain horse that I fell in love with and HAD to have it (it reminded me of Joy). After much pleading (begging and pestering) my mom bought me that “Silver Pony”. I still have it tucked away in a box of my horse mementos (somewhere next to the box of porcelain unicorns, I am sure). Anyway, sipping on the Silver Pony Cabernet took me back to the day I saw the porcelain horse, fell in love with it and had to have it. I remember the passion and the determination I felt with my horse obsession and I was only about 10 or 11. And, I remember how much I wanted a real horse.

So, sipping on an adult passion, Silver Pony Cabernet, jarred an association of the past and as I recalled the enthusiasm I felt about horses, remembered my porcelain, silver pony, I started to question what my modern day “silver pony” is. I realized that the passion and feelings surrounding the horse obsession resemble my love for business.

I no longer wish to own a horse. Although I’d love to go riding again.  But I know I’m following my dreams and creating a lifestyle I love by building my business and being of service to others. I’m also going to find my original “silver pony” and create a place of honor for it in my office alongside “My Very First Teeny Tiny Strawberry Paperback Libary” –a mini assortment of books my dad bought for me when I was first starting to read and begin my love affair with words. These are both great reminder of how lucky I am to have parents who helped fuel my passions and support my dreams.

So, today I ask you —What is your “silver pony”? What brings you the most joy and makes you well up with passion and pride knowing you’re making a difference and living your life on your own terms?

22 responses to “Horses, Dreams and the Reality of It All…”

1. I love this post so much! I love the idea of a silver pony – such a great symbol AND a great analogy! My silver pony is an actual horse, but it also is what I am doing in my businesses. So wonderful to be living life embracing my silver ponies! xoxo

2. wow, awesome post.Really thank you! Fantastic.

3. Tom Lehner says:

Thank you, Lisa for this inspirational Story. Where is my silver Pony well here it is:

When I was a kid, I watched all those Western movies with John Wayne and always wanted to become a Cowboy. Only in the country I grew up (Europe) there were no such thing as a cowboy’s. Well when I was 14, I visited my uncle in the States, in Philladelphia and he said, boy you’re entering the workforce now and so its time to grow up and forget the Cowboy dream. Said that and dropped me off at a working cattle ranch in West Texas. Knowing Texas the area around Hudspeth County is a dust desert with slim vegetation, hot as hell and full of rattle snakes. He dropped me off there for 4 weeks to work there in the hope that I might drop the dream. Well, wrong, when he picked me up I told him one day or another, I will own my own ranch and raise cattle and horses.

That was my silver Pony.

Years later at the age of mid 30 my dreams came true, I immigrated legally to Texas and bought my ranch. And I was so successful with my ranch that I had the chance to invest in other companies and that is where I lost my way for a few little times.

Somewhere down the line, I also started a business on the side and my ranch became secondary while my life turned out to be more business man than rancher. Sure, I lived on the ranch, I had Cowboys employed who worked there full time but me – myself – I became more a business man than a rancher.

I lost the path of my destiny, until last week when I woke up and found out; I am on the wrong road. Successful in business and owning a ranch I am a lonely man with no wife not doing what I love to do and that is ranching again.

I missed my silver pony.

I am now in the process of selling my investment firm, and work on the ranch again, fulltime and I am the happiest man alive. I have been riding and training my own horses again and I have not felt so good in the past three years.

So only one silver pony left: A wife and children

Tom,
      Thanks for sharing. That’s a great story and good for you for making the changes you need to make for you.

What a sweet post into the glimpse of your past. My silver pony is working business strategy with my dad as a young girl in our sandwich shop. It was at that time I caught the entrepreneurial bug. Now that he is gone, I feel that I am carrying a piece of his drive, passion and love for business with my clients.
      Kiyla

6. Lisa,

I like how you weave the wine card in your story. I understand why you get along so well with my wife! 🙂 Both great women!!

Dr. Robert Fenell

7. Love the silver pony idea, Lisa! This could be the concept for your next book…just sayin! I need to sit with this for a bit, and get back to you about what mine is…:)

P.S Gotta love Dr. Bob for bringing the funny!

Kiyla,

Thanks so much. I love your story, too. What a blessing that you can carry the wisdom from your dad with you at all times.

BIG love to you.

xoxo

Dr. Fenell,

Yes, your wife is amazing and one of my favorite peeps. We were immediately soul sisters based on our mutual love for “entrepreneurial fuel”.

Thanks for your kind comments!!

Jennifer,

ANOTHER book — I guess I better finish the one I’m working on now first. 🙂

Cannot wait to hear about your Silver Pony.

11. We all have a silver pony! I love that imagery.

12. Lisa I loved the picture of the pure white horse and your story of the silver pony. What a great analogy. I too, was encouraged to read at an early age and developed my love of writing and words. My Mum kept the stories I wrote when I was about 9 or 10 and I found them among her possessions after she passed. She had even typed them out on one of those very old typewriters.
      Thanks so much for our story.
      Lynn

Lynn,
        That is beautiful that your mom kept your stories. It’s funny, I’ve kept many of mine and while dreaming of a tropical island retreat recently I found one that I had penned at a very young age called “My Island”. Perhaps I was dreaming really BIG even then?

Isn’t it amazing how the full-on passions of our youth still have energy and impact even these decades later? I, too, was a horse-lover and reader of all things horsey when I was young. I still love horses, although I haven’t been on one in many years. But that sense of freedom has, definitely, everything to do with the entrepreneurial spirit.

You are right. The freedom of riding horses and the freedom of being and entrepreneur definitely go hand in hand.
        I still remember when Joy took off at a dead run while I was riding. She wasn’t going to stop for anything and that feeling also reminds me of the exhilarating fear we often experience while taking big leaps and risks in our businesses.

14. Gee – did we all love horses as little girls? – I too loved Black Beauty! (and all the Lassie movies)

I love the whole silver pony analogy and I think at different times in our lives we have different ones…right now I’m riding my silver pony and loving it (and feeding her really healthy food!)

Thanks Lisa

Thank you for sharing your story. Hope to see a photo one day soon.
      My silver pony is going to major sporting events ( within reason ) with my family. Watching the best play each other reminds me of how important it is for us to always be our best at what we do.
      Mitch

What would you like to see a photo of?
        Glad you have a “silver pony” too. I think it’s so important to remember our passions and appreciate life.

16. Jenny Fenig says:

Love your Silver Pony story, Lisa! I do hope you put that figurine prominently on your desk somewhere – it’s full of positive energy and memories.

As a kid, my Silver Pony was playing softball … as a teen, I chose to channel my energy into cheerleading. Both were active pursuits that allowed me to shine and be athletic. Now my Silver Pony is yoga. Brings me back to my roots … and gives me the tools to be my best self as a woman, wife, mother, entrepreneur.