• growthDo you think that business success is truly a choice?

I belive that it is.

Anyone who has ever started a business knows there is work involved.  It takes a clear vision, strategic planning, marketing and more to be successful.

The two traits of successful businesses that I see most often (regardless of the type of business) are consistency and communication. To truly choose success, you must incorporate both into your overall strategy.

Consistency = staying power. When you create a strong brand and platform and continue to be true to that you’ll gain trust, brand recognition and people will know you are serious about your business.

Communication = relationships. Relationships are key to business success because without them you don’t have customers. It’s important to communicate with customers and potential customers to let them know how you can be of service to them.

Successful businesses  incorporate consistency and communication in all facets of their business. Businesses that fail generally don’t have plans, lack consistency and don’t let potential customers know what they have to offer.

I’ve been pondering this recently because I’ve had several people ask me if I offer specific services (even though they are listed on my website) or assume that they cannot afford to work with me because they didn’t immediately see information about my editing /rewrite rates which are considerably lower than starting from scratch. Plus, there are some things I do that aren’t even listed on my site… (and there are more to come, soon.)

This made me realize I’m not being as consistent with my communication as I should be (can you relate?). It also made me think about the businesses that are continually reinventing themselves with no apparent rhyme or reason…

It’s easy to assume that people understand what you offer and know what is available but the truth of the matter is, they don’t and won’t unless you tell them and show them how you can be of service. It’s equally important to be consistent in what you offer so you don’t confuse people.

So, with that being said, I plan to communicate my offerings more effectively and consistently so I can truly be of service to those who need my offerings most.

Are there products and services you should be sharing with your community to support them?

Are you being consistent and communicating?

Are you REALLY clear about who you are, what you do and how you can best serve your ideal clients?

17 responses to “How to Choose Business Success Instead of Failure”

1. Pinky McKay says:

Hi Lisa

Im doing my best – but as they say on report cards – “could do better”

thanks for the reminder

Pinky

2. Ellen Martin says:

Hi Lisa,

What a great post! As I read this, I realized that I haven’t been consistent either. There are specific services that I have not been communicating well and are actually the things I prefer to do.

Thanks for sharing!

Ellen Martin

Ellen,

You are not alone. We all need a little nudge every once in a while. Getting the word about what you love will increase your biz for sure. 🙂

I totally believe that consistent follow through is 98% of success. Great article, Lisa.

4. This is so on the mark for me, Lisa. I’ve been struggling with how to communicate what I offer effectively. My goal is to get a clear message figured out this month and then be very consistent in how and when I communicate that. Thanks for the timely post!
      Warmly,
      Jessica
      .-= Jessica Eaves Mathews´s last blog ..Without a Strong Foundation- Even a Beautiful House Won’t Stand =-.

5. This is the exact perfect article I needed to read today.
      I’ve got the commitment part nailed down! and now it is the ever growing clarity of the message

Great minds. 🙂

Jessica,

You do a great job and I am continually impressed with all you do to help entrepreneurial women.

The beauty of this process is that it is ever-evolving. I have no doubt that you’ll more than find your groove.

9. I just went into my autoresponders today and changed some of the automatic messages that go out following product purchases etc. and updated for the first time in two years! Shame on me. Dang, I never think of those automatic things.
      Great article Lisa, consistency is a magic wand in business!
      Lynn
      .-= Get Clear Goals with Lynn Moore´s last blog ..What’s LAW Got to Do With It =-.

10. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by SummerHillsByronBay. SummerHillsByronBay said: RT @EllenMartin: How to Choose Business Success Instead of Failure – http://b2l.me/9jqyr (via @WriteOnCreative) […]

11. Grace Heer says:

Whoever said “Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds” was NOT a business person…. It requires a HUGE mind, and lots of mental exercise.
      Lisa, thanks for that. I’m learning (more slowly than I want to be) about how to be consistent, and best ways to communicate. The way you share your wisdome is much appreciated!!

Sending love,
      Grace

Ouch, Lisa…this one hurts! I feel I am very clear about my value proposition, but my consistency is, at best, consistently inconsistent! Thanks for the great reminders…

Phil
      .-= Phil Dyer´s last blog ..Are You Living to Work or Working to Live =-.

I second your post!
      Thanks,
      Mitch
      .-= Mitch Tublin´s last blog ..World Cup 2010 Not A Sports Story Here =-.

14. Hi, Lisa –

This is so true and something that I have had to struggle with even very recently!
      .-= Patricia Selmo´s last blog ..Leadership Lessons =-.

15. Consistent Clear Communication. Very well put. Write On, Lady! ?