Q: Advertising is expensive and I want more people to know about my business. How can I get business publicity (especially FREE publicity)?
This question, along with many more, was posed during my workshop, The Power of Publicity, at Southern Oregon University’s Small Business Development Center. Savvy business owners understand the power of business publicity.
A: Advertising and publicity are both necessary in your business marketing mix. The key is to create a plan and strategy to ensure all of your efforts are working together.
Here’s a clip from my TV interview on ABC Newswatch 12 KDRV about the workshop that offers some golden nuggets you can apply in your business right away. Click the video to watch and see more quick tips below.
During the workshop at SOU-SBDC I promised to share how to:
• Discern the difference between free and paid publicity and why both are important elements of your marketing efforts
• Gain a better understanding of what is newsworthy and what is not
• Learn to create newsworthy press releases that get free publicity using the standard press release formula
• Ways to strategically develop quality in-house media lists
• Tips to build relationships with key contacts (on their terms)
Participants also had the opportunity to meet with local news media experts to hear firsthand what tips they’re looking for. Big thanks to KOBI 5, KDRV and Southern Oregon Media Group for your contributions.
I recapped this information for attendees and shared ways to leverage publicity once you get it (and now you if you’re interested) in a mini training that can be accessed here — Click here to get instant access to training that will help you get and leverage publicity.
You can also check out some photos from the workshop and connect with me on my Facebook Business Page.
What’s your BEST publicity story? Share or ask your own questions by replying to this post below.