With Jack Canfield at the California Women's Conference

With Jack Canfield at the California Women’s Conference

What is one of the biggest lessons you’ve ever learned from a past position, resource or your current work?

Many years ago I worked in radio sales and became a certified Radio Marketing Master through the Radio Advertising Bureau.  As I look back on over two decades of experience that spans the mediums (radio, print, TV, direct mail, online marketing – -you name it, I’ve likely had experience doing it) one thing stands out.

The biggest lesson I ever learned (and probably the most valuable) is how to ask for what I want.  I still remember my sales manager in radio saying “ask you get -don’t you won’t”. She was right and it reminds me of another resource — a book called The Aladdin Factor by Mark Victor Hansen and Jack Canfield (you might know them as the Chicken Soup for the Soul guys).

Jack and lisa 2

Sharing the impact of The Aladdin Factor

When I read that book years ago, it changed my life. If you’re still not where you want to be, chances are you need to learn how to ask for what you want.

I bring it up now because I  had the honor of presenting at the 2014 California Women’s Conference where I shared “Why the Traditional Copywriting and Marketing Formula isn’t Working With Women.”  (this presentation included my “Challenge. Solution. Invitation.™” marketing formula  as seen in Inc. Magazine and beyond).

At the VIP reception I had the opportunity to tell Jack how his book had impacted me.

Presenting at the California Women's Conference 2014

Presenting at the California Women’s Conference 2014

I share this story as a reminder to you. If you don’t ask for what you want and take action to get there, it won’t happen. If I hadn’t hosted the virtual conversation on the California Women’s Conference website, I would not have been chosen for the People’s Choice Award and been asked to speak at the event.

• What do you need to ask for?
  • What is holding your business back?
  • What do you need to invest in to move forward?

Here’s a book review I wrote about The Aladdin Factor many years ago. This will help you get comfortable with how to ask for what you want. You might consider grabbing a copy for your library (and I know Jack has more resources that can help).

Remember, you can ask for what you want without being pushy or demanding. I teach this philosophy in marketing and copywriting, too and would love to see YOU get what you really want.

To learn more about the philosophies I shared on stage at the California Women’s Conference go here to get your FREE Copywriting Action Plan and become a member of the Write On Creative Community.

Lisa Manyon is "The Business Marketing Architect" a content and copywriting strategist for mission-driven entrepreneurs. She's the creator of the NEW marketing model for success (as seen in Inc. Magazine) that's changing the way people market today. She specializes in powerfully communicating your marketing message to increase results via Manyon Marketing Web Makeovers, website copy packages and content strategies to effectively market your business. She offers a free Copywriting Action Plan and marketing resources on her award winning blog www.writeoncreative.com/blog

16 Responses to “How to Ask for What You Want”

1. Lisa my parents used to regularly give me
    That same piece of advice. It’s a good one. If you don’t ask you won’t get!
    Mary Ellen Miller recently posted..Four Social Media Tips to “Get What You Need” on Summer VacationMy Profile

Yes, law of abundance and vision boards require you to put forth what you want. It’s awesome, and freeing. And responsible, as well.
    Sue Painter recently posted..6 Reasons Not To Discount PricesMy Profile

3. Heidi Alexandra Pollard says:

I agree Lisa – when you ask with compassion and the right intent, you do receive. So thrilled that you got to share the impact of the book on you with Jack.

4. Congrats on hosting the virtual conversation on the California Women’s Conference website – and then being invited to speak – how cool is that!

And then you got to meet a hero – love it!

I’m all for asking for what you want – yeah!

Trudy,

Thanks so much. Yes, I’m truly honored to be awarded the first ever People’s Choice Award for the California Women’s Conference. Talk about making history. I love the synergy of it and meeting Jack was icing on the cake.

Great to learn you were able to speak live at this conference. Good for you!
    Mitch Tublin recently posted..Are You Distracted?My Profile

Yes, I was honored to speak on the People’s Choice Award stage. AND, I saw your lovely wife there speaking, too.

It was a great event.

6. Lisa – Congratulations on hustling as an online presenter and winning your way to the big stage as the People’s choice! And thanks for sharing the book — I hadn’t heard of it before, so I’ll definitely check it out.
    Jennifer Bourn recently posted..Add An Opt-In Box to Your WordPress Site To Build Your Email ListMy Profile

Were there is a will, there is a way. The Aladdin Factor changes my life. It’s a great book and it was an honor to meet Jack Canfield.

7. Thanks for the resources! I love how you framed this, Lisa. So many women entrepreneurs really struggle with asking for what they want, from asking people to do business with them to clearly communicating their needs to vendors, and everything in between.
    Tiffany deSilva recently posted..Ignite a Movement and Set the World on FireMy Profile

8. Jessica says:

Loved that book years ago, and one of my mentors, Actor, Brad William Henke said, “Nos don’t change your life, yeses do!”
    Jessica recently posted..LET ME TELL YOU WHERE YOU CAN PUT YOUR DANGLING CARROTMy Profile

9. How amazing for you!! That’s really wonderful.

One of my favorite quotes from a business seminar that I took is, “You don’t get what you deserve, you get what you ask for.” And you’ve just highlighted and reinforced this.
    Mira Dessy, Nutrition Educator and Real Food Advocate recently posted..antioxidants – hype or healthy?My Profile

Mira,

Great quote. Yes, you do get what you ask for and if you don’t, you’re no worse off than you were before.

Being proactive prompts action.