stop?There is a big difference between marketing and advertising.

The official definition as approved by the American Marketing Association is as follows: Marketing is the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large. (Approved July 2013)

Simply put, marketing is everything you do to position, promote and connect with your prospects.

Marketing differs from advertising in a very specific way.

Advertising is paid placement of your marketing message. This means you have full control of the content within the specified placement (i.e. radio ads, print ads, television ads, billboards and beyond).

Although advertising can work, advertising is designed to interrupt (Think about TV commercial and radio ads that are designed to be intrusive, they are not as effective as they used to be because you can turn the channel, watch on demand programming with no commercials, mute them or even fast forward through them). So, in reality, you have the illusion of control with paid placement but you have no real control over who might see your message, let alone respond to it.

Marketing, on the other hand, is all about relationships. I’ve been teaching this approach for years. With marketing you can connect with specific people who share your worldview.

I recently experienced a Skillshare course taught by Seth Godin. He shared two distinct differences between the old marketing model (which is actually advertising) and the new marketing model.

A) The old model was to invest in interruption.

Interruption was really valuable and you could buy it cheap. The more ads you bought, the more money you made and your brand would be valuable for a lifetime.

B) The new model is to invest in mattering. It turns out that while it’s difficult and frustrating to pull off, mattering is a bargain. It’s about deciding to matter. To matter in what you make and to matter in the way you talk about it.

He also mentioned that it’s really easy to copy someone else (my personal pet peeve — be original already) than to MATTER, to stand for something.

This made me think of disruptive marketing.

Disruptive marketing is marketing that matters by taking a stand for something. Marketing that makes some noise (shakes up the status quo) by taking a stand. Marketing that supports a movement.

This is the kind of marketing that I do and I suggest you consider learning how to create disruptive marketing messages that matter.

Being disruptive challenges the status quo.

Being disruptive breaks the trance.

Being disruptive matters (it’s not intrusive, it creates a movement).

Here are three ways to create disruptive marketing messages that matter.

1) Decide that you want to make a difference and be very clear about what that difference is (I help my preferred clients dig into this when we work together to create marketing messages with integrity).

2) Infuse your values into what you market so it matters to you and to your tribe.

3) Face your fear of being afraid to go against the grain and challenge the norm. We need you to be a contrarian to change the world.

Once you have these three pieces in place, you’ll want to create a strategy and craft your message in way that matters and in a way that is disruptive.

For example: When I introduced The NEW Marketing Model for Success via my “Challenge. Solution. Invitation.™” copywriting formula, it caused a buzz because it’s contrary to the traditional formula of problem, agitate and solve. It’s a small shift that’s making a big difference. By creating something that matters and challenging the norm I’ve been disruptive and that has naturally drawn media attention and organic exposure in bestselling books and beyond. My formula is also making a difference because it matters to me and to my ideal clients.

What is your story?

What do you stand for?

How do you matter?

I’ve been asking these questions for quite some time and I’m waiting for your answer. If you’re stuck, let me know. I can help by meeting you exactly where you are when you need copy, have copy that needs help or just want to write better copy yourself (click here for options).

I’ll leave you with another quote from Seth Godin.

“Copywriting is way, way, UNDERRATED. The fact is almost everyone knows how to type and almost no one knows how to write copy. You’re going to have to invest time to learn how to do it or money to hire the best person you can afford. We are still driven by text. The words you use will amplify your story and a copywriter knows how to put those words together in a way that helps you bring that idea forward.” ~ Seth Godin via The Modern Marketing Skillshare course.

If you’re not yet a member of the Write On Creative community, grab your FREE Copywriting Action Plan today. Click here to start creating marketing messages that matter.

Lisa Manyon is "The Business Marketing Architect" a content and copywriting strategist for mission-driven entrepreneurs. She's the creator of the NEW marketing model for success (as seen in Inc. Magazine) that's changing the way people market today. She specializes in powerfully communicating your marketing message to increase results via Manyon Marketing Web Makeovers, website copy packages and content strategies to effectively market your business. She offers a free Copywriting Action Plan and marketing resources on her award winning blog www.writeoncreative.com/blog

[fblikesend]

17 Responses to “How to Create Disruptive Marketing Messages that Matter”

I love this thing about disruptive marketing. In effect, it’s your blue ocean strategy. Grant Cardone in his 10X book says “your only problem is obscurity.” Disruptive marketing can fix that problem.
    Sue Painter recently posted..Thinking Too Small – Business Decisions That Lead To Big ImpactsMy Profile

Thanks for the resource. I haven’t read that book and am adding it to my Amazon Prime wish list.
      Yes, disruptive marketing is what matters and it’s so in alignment with my dislike of cookie-cutter approaches (although I love cookie cutters when baking cookies). ;)

2. Thanks for being my “learn 1 new thing a day” contributor of the day:) Had no idea about disruptive marketing – no teaching platform on the horizon for you? :)
    jennifer longmore recently posted..Become a Magnetic Superstar Using the Universal Law of Co-CreationMy Profile

Jennifer,

You are most welcome. I love the entire idea of disruptive marketing. Of course, I have always danced to the beat of a different drum. ;)

3. Disruptive marketing is key today as is disruptive innovation. In the modern world where white noise surrounds us the old model will no longer work because everything is interruption. You have to disrupt, you have to stand out, you have to be unique, think Pharrell Williams wearing tuxedo with shorts at the recent Oscars!

4. Copywriting is definitely a skill. I know when I hire someone to write copy for important messages they do better because they’re honed and targeted. She always takes my words and makes them better. It’s amazing how she does that.
    Mira Dessy, Nutrition Educator and Real Food Advocate recently posted..pasteurize eggs with radio frequencyMy Profile

Mira,

Yes, copywriting is an art. It really is. You are blessed to have found someone who can capture your voice. I hear it’s rare and that many are trying to copy others instead of being original. But, that’s another topic for another time.

5. Jessica says:

I just completed that Skillshare course with Seth. I did it with a partner and brainstorming together we were really able to come up with some cool “disruptive” stuff. Good stuff, Lisa!
    Jessica recently posted..To Tell of Not to Tell… That Is The Question!My Profile

Enjoy the quote from Seth. I would add
    that many people do not understand how to communicate
    to their audience.
    Mitch Tublin recently posted..It Is Guaranteed!My Profile

7. I love the distinction you made between advertising and marketing. Good marketing is all about building relationships and this is critical for small business owners.
    Tiffany deSilva recently posted..Don’t Go it AloneMy Profile

Hi Tiffany,

Thanks, it’s one of my pet peeves. Advertising is not marketing. AND successful marketing starts with relationships NOT pay to play arrangements (another hot spot for many reasons).

Once again, we are on the same page!

8. Thanks for standing up – in support of authentic communication. It’s the scariest and most empowering thing one can do. I feel supported by your showing up in support of your OWN authenticity! The honest echo reverberates deeply.

Eliana,

Thanks for taking the time to express yourself here. It really is important to be seen and heard. Many underestimate what it takes to keep it real.
      I appreciate that you understand and acknowledge that.

9. Jenny Fenig says:

I LOVE THIS ARTICLE. Thank you for sharing Seth Godin’s quote – “Copywriting is way, way, UNDERRATED. The fact is almost everyone knows how to type and almost no one knows how to write copy. You’re going to have to invest time to learn how to do it or money to hire the best person you can afford.”

Oh, how I agree with this. Love your approach, Lisa. Refreshing and right on!
    Jenny Fenig recently posted..You Are EnoughMy Profile

Jenny,

Thanks so much! Yes, copy is WAY underrated. When I heard this quote from Seth (during a course he was teaching) I did a happy dance.
      I cannot tell you how many projects I’ve had to step in and “fix” because people tried to cut corners with messaging and strategy.