• StopI remember the first time someone told me that I’m not a copywriter…

Imagine my surprise as I’m sitting in a high-level mastermind meeting with brilliant colleagues and unanimously they all say “Lisa, you’re not a copywriter.” (AND mind you, this has happened more than once– with good reason, but likely not a reason you’d expect).

Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever been positioned as one thing and delivered another?

On that beautiful Florida afternoon I began to rethink my business. This was several years ago and I’d already established a solid reputation and track record as a copywriter. AND I’d also been over-delivering with high-level strategy, creation of packages and income streams and more.

That’s why my colleagues called me on the carpet. “You’re not a copywriter, you’re a strategist, a marketing consultant and more. You help create revenue streams and the plan to make them happen. AND your work generates income for your preferred clients for years to come after the project is done.” my colleagues shared…

They were right and I ignored them. Well, I didn’t completely ignore them but I did start to re-position myself as a marketing strategist. I couldn’t just abandon all the positioning around copywriting because I firmly believe copy is one of the four core components to marketing success. AND I knew I was over-delivering (which I’ll always continue to do) but I wasn’t being compensated for all the additional work I was doing (My “Pick. Click and Pay.” techniques package offerings that generate income for the longevity of your business and as such that needs to be considered and compensated). That’s when I re-packaged my offerings. I invite you to look at what you’re doing (your products, services, funnel and overall offerings) and consider how you’re positioning yourself.

It’s quite possible that it’s time for you to re-evaluate, re-package and re-position. I’m not talking about a complete re-brand here — in fact — I’m not fully sold on the re-branding process unless you created a business that wasn’t intended to stand the test of time (often I tell clients “Don’t re-brand”). But that’s another topic for another time (and one of the ways I’ve saved clients thousands of dollars)…

Right now I want you to consider how you need to show up in order to be true to you, true to how your brand has evolved and true to what you’re really offering your ideal clients.

You might want to consider revisiting your “Pick. Click. and Pay.” packages (or maybe you haven’t created them yet?)… Either way, when you’re stuck in your business or you’re getting advice to re-brand, you may want to to re-think your direction and I’m happy to help provide some clarity. A good place to start is with a Manyon Marketing Web Makeover (I reserve time on my calendar to serve 4 preferred clients each week and I’d love for you to be one of them. You can also reserve a quick strategy session if you’re stuck).

The truth of the matter is your Manyon Marketing Web Makeover goes far beyond your website and often reveals unrealistic web expectations. What is your experience with branding re-branding and packaging yourself? Share your comments here (as always I’ll answer your posts personally).

16 responses to “Re-evaluate, Re-package and Re-position but Don’t Re-brand”

1. Nikole Gipps says:

I’ve rebranded, but it was more because I changed the direction of my business … at which point it made sense. Most of the time I’m just tweaking content.

Nikole,
        Re-branding can be a good thing and it needs to be carefully considered. The two biggest questions I’d ask around the process are 1) Why is is necessary (or is it) 2) Who will ultimately benefit. I’ve seen and heard of too many instances where “branding specialists” make recommendations based on a package they are trying to “sell” and the best interest of the business, brand equity or brand integrity.

2. Lisa, I can relate to being a strategist not a copywriter. It sounds like you rebranded yourself several years ago with great success.

Hi Mary Ellen,
        I actually re-positioned. My brand has remained the same with brand integrity and brand equity for almost 10 years now. There’s a lot of confusion about what a brand really is. You can expect a post about that soon. :)

I agree that the infamous “15% shift” you and I both have been taught so well is more what is needed than a total rebranding about 90% of the time. Unless you are beginning to serve a totally different industry, not sure it is necessary.

4. Branding, or rebranding,is similar to most things in business in that you need to carefully examine your desired outcome and how it fits with your overall goals before you dive in. I think it is important to make sure that your brand is in alignment with your vision and how you would like your audience to percieve you. Whether or not to re-brand depends on several factors. I look forward to reading your future posts on the topic.

5. Jessica says:

I love it! Don’t re-brand. Branding is such a “buzz” word and what you wrote makes total sense!!! Can’t wait to share.

6. This is very interesting and I do like the idea of a shift to re-position yourself!

7. Bill Painter says:

This makes a lot of sense because a lot of entrepreneurs are their brand (e.g. JohnSmith.com). You really can’t rebrand yourself. But I see the difference in repositioning yourself. Your brand is the value you provide and services can be shifted.

8. Betsy Baker says:

Oh, boy – been there and done that! 😉 Although how it ended up for me was that while I thought I was re-branding I was actually creating another business. I agree that it’s fine to tweak and re-package as you go along in your business. Most often that’s all that’s needed rather than a complete brand overhaul.

Yes one of the finer points for folks to consider.
      Too many people are on the merry go round of what they
      do and what they call themselves.

10. Hi Lisa – interesting post – I too often advise my corporate clients not to rebrand unless totally necessary (for many of them with offices,fleets of cars, uniforms etc it would also be a costly exercise) unless of course much of what you do or who you serve has changed. I rebranded my business to UQ Power around 6 months ago because the target audience shifted dramatically to serving suppliers, contractors and companies in the mining, power and manufacturing industry so the shift was needed as our previous offering was not branded in an appealing way for this market. You have to really consider all the benefits and costs before jumping in!

11. Lisa – As always, we’re on the same page! I always say to people who want to rebrand: “Just remember, At just about the same time you are tired of what you have and want something you, your audience is just starting to remember it and connect with it. A business owner sees their brand and marketing materials every day and are so close to it, they get tired of it usually just as it is finally getting real traction in the market.

Be careful not to redesign just to redesign, or because it’s fun, or you just want to. Often it’s much better to re-position than it is to re-brand!

And whatever action you do take, do it with data driven reasons that are purposeful to increase specific things or make specific changes in perception / prospect flow, and conversion.”

12. Sarah Grear says:

Hi Lisa,

I love the timing of this article, since I am re-packaging my offerings right now. Thank you for the insights!