• Web Flow ClarityWhen I collaborate with preferred clients on their web copy and strategy they are often amazed by all the work that actually goes into creating an effective website. There are layers of strategy including design, programming,  copy (the written content of all marketing, promotional and advertising materials) and strategy to get visitors to the site. Because the process of creating an online presence can be so overwhelming, copy and strategy may not be given the attention they deserve. When this happens results are weak at best.

I’ve also found that many people get stuck when creating their marketing message because the formula of “Problem. Agitate. Solve.” doesn’t resonate with them. When something doesn’t feel right, especially a formula to create marketing messages, it’s very difficult to create an effective message or strategy. This is true if you’re starting from scratch or simply reassessing what’s working or what isn’t working with your current website. That’s one of the reasons I’m really proud of my new copywriting formula of “Challenge. Solution.Invitation” (and I’m clearly onto something since it’s been featured in Inc. Magazine and I continue to book interviews about the topic).

There are two areas that many people are still challenged by when it comes to their websites.

1. The first is not having a clear strategy. When this happens you simply don’t get the results you’d hoped for and you haven’t spent enough time planning your website strategy and creating copy that works with your strategy (this means it connects with your ideal clients and leads them to the next logical step of doing business with you). This often shows up in the form of lost sales, confused website visitors and lack of clarity as to what steps to take next (hint: maybe you don’t even have a call to action and you’re not inviting people to take action or perhaps you haven’t had an objective perspective from someone who isn’t “too close” to your business). When this occurs you’re likely making the BIGGEST website mistake ever (and you might not even realize it).
    2. The second area is what I like to call “head in the sand syndrome” otherwise known as “website shame. This is when you know you need to make changes to your website, you know it isn’t working for you and you just don’t know where to start. So instead of taking action or getting the help you need, you ignore your website, you’re embarrassed to send people to it and in essence it’s really not working for you or your ideal clients. There is KEY information missing in your content and this often means your copy hasn’t been created to work with your overall site strategy or your individual page strategy.

The good news is I can help you create a clear strategy and craft copy that really speaks to your ideal clients. In fact, I’ve designed programs and services to meet you wherever you are when it comes to your messaging.  You can also take action on your own by assessing your site and reviewing your copy to make sure you’re on the right track (the links you find throughout this article provide tips that can help) BUT it’s often more effective when you get outside, objective perspective.

If you’re interested in getting support with your web content (aka copywriting) and strategy I invite you to consider a Manyon Marketing Web Makeover.

Whatever you decide to do make sure your copy (marketing messages and web content) are working with your overall strategy to be of service to your ideal clients. I would love to support you and I do limit the number of clients I work with. The best place to start is with your complimentary Copywriting Action Plan (from here you’ll know what feels right).  Let me know if you have questions?

20 responses to “What’s Happening With Your Website?”

I agree so much with the “clear strategy” piece, Lisa. Critical!

Without strategy all else fails. That’s why I challenge the age old adage that “copy is king.” Copy is actually QUEEN and content strategy is KING — they must work together to get results (think of them as the feminine and masculine energies in marketing).

2. Hear hear Lisa! I have suffered from website shame before and its not pretty!

Heidi,

People often underestimate the ongoing attention a website needs to truly succeed.
        A few shifts in strategy and fresh content can make all the difference in the world.

3. LOL re: “website shame” 😉 Great stuff, Lady! XO, Katherine

It’s all too common, Katherine. One of the things people don’t realize is that their website is an ongoing project and there will always be room for improvement.

4. One of my biggest challenges is getting business owners to see their website as a marketing tool. The next challenge is to get them to understand they need a strategic plan to make sure their website is successful.

Even something as simple as leaving blog comments should have a plan otherwise you can be wasting a tremendous amount of time.

Good stuff Lisa!

Hi Tonya,

Yes, STRATEGY is key .That’s exactly why I challenge the age old adage that copy is king. Instead, I’ve found, copy is QUEEN and strategy is KING — much like a relationship one will not work as well without the other.

Well stated. Marketing and messaging should be fun too!
      If there is ‘shame’ something is clearly wrong!
      Mitch

Website shame is common because people get stuck and overwhelmed by all the moving parts and strategy involved in creating and maintaining a website. With the right help it’s much easier to create an effective plan to get better results.

6. Ooh, website shame…I know that well. However, when I took action, I found that the results outweighed the fear of taking action 10-fold!

Being proud of your website means more traffic…and more business! Get into action!

7. Lisa
      I know the feeling of website shame…and also how valuable having a good strategy is.

8. Love it, Lisa! You are a master at developing savvy and profitable biz strategies that include making a person’s website more than a 2 dimensional online biz card!-)

Thanks Jennifer,

Strategy is KEY when it comes to an effective online presence. I am continually baffled by the lack of vision and strategy in so many cases and then I remember, that’s why I am here. We all have specific gifts to share and mine is strategy, vision and content to marketing messages are building relationships AND getting results.

Congratulations on being featured in Inc.! Love your angle on the “Challenge. Solution.Invitation” strategy. Makes total sense. <3

Kiyla Fenell

10. Jenny Fenig says:

Your articles are always so strong, Lisa! Love your philosophy of Challenge, Solution, Invitation. It’s much more me and I find that I can use my voice much more authentically with this approach. Thanks for your leadership!

Jenny,

You are so welcome. This is truly resonating with brilliant, thought leading women such as yourself.

I am so glad to give women a voice to turn their ideas into something that matters.