• Social Proof

Is Social Proof Hurting or Helping Your Business?

Although storytelling and transparency are huge components of copywriting trends, it’s not enough to simply tell your story. You must have buy-in fueled by social proof. Consumers must believe your story, resonate with you, and believe that others believe in you too before they decide to do business with you. That’s why social media and social proof are at the forefront of many successful marketing campaigns.
    It’s also vital that the story you are telling is TRUE. Authenticity = congruency in marketing. Often when things aren’t flowing your message isn’t a good match for what you are delivering and isn’t resonating with your end-user as it should. Or what you are delivering isn’t what you’re presenting in your marketing message. It comes down to not only accurately portraying what you do but actually doing it.

Including features and benefits in your copy is not enough to fully convince savvier consumers your product or service is for them. Testimonials do help support believability and consumers want social proof that what you offer works. Period.  Often they find this proof via social buzz on Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, blogs and more.

Your copywriting efforts and brand must be represented in social media platforms with engaged interaction to support any messages your marketing, advertising, and promotions are generating. Of course you need solid copy to engage the conversation and then the rest becomes viral. Think word-of-mouth marketing on the Web. Every social media post, blog comment and Tweet that you create has an impact on your reputation and the same is true about the buzz others are creating about you.

Another great way to build your buzz and enhance your relationships online is to infuse audio and video into your messaging. This is not a new technique; however, the effectiveness is increasing. People want to know, like and trust you and audio and video help make that connection.

Although copy truly is the foundation of messaging it can take more than the written word to build relationships especially online. Rather than overlook social media avenues, video and audio consider how they can work for you.

• What are you doing to connect?
    • What are people saying about you and your business online?
    • Do you have social proof that what you do works?

I’d love to hear about your social proof. Feel free to weigh in. How has it helped you?

Have questions about social proof, branding and image? Feel free to ask here – Ask Lisa — and I’ll answer personally.

14 responses to “How Social Proof Can Make or Break Your Business”

You have hit the nail on the proverbial head, Lisa. I feel like I have so much to learn about social media and how to REALLY use it well, even though I am already a player. Thanks for sharing these tips and your insight.

I have found that just being social and being true to myself and my brand and what I know is right has been the best social media strategy EVER.

I’m glad this helped you and I think you’re doing a great job.

2. Great points and well written Lisa. You made me realise my rebrand is coming at a great time because although my message is authentic and resonates I’m not sure the image portrayed by my current website actually aligns and this is hugely important.
      .-= Natalie Sisson´s last blog ..4 Ways To Start Your Business For Less Using Black Friday Deals =-.

Hi Natalie,

It’s great to see you here and I’m so glad this topic helped you. It all takes time and you are at a perfect spot to make the changes you need to be true to you and your brand.

Keep me posted on our progress.

This is really juicy material and I see a beautiful potential product within this powerful content;) Thank you for connecting the dots for us with really important questions and evaluations we should do with our messages. I see…”Manyon Method for Your Marketing Message” say that fast 5 times;) Thanks so much for YOUR great message.
      Kiyla Fenell

Kiyla,

Thanks so much for your support and friendship….Manyon Method… I like it. I’ve been playing with Manyon Marketing Makeovers but there truly is a Manyon Method to the marketing madness. :)

4. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Lisa Manyon, Kiyla Bynum-Fenell. Kiyla Bynum-Fenell said: How Social Proof Can Make or Break Your Business – http://bit.ly/e1Cw1F (via @WriteOnCreative) […]

5. Thanks Lisa for your insights. I’ve always enjoy your social media posts. I’m going to take a step-up and start adding more audio and video messages into my messages. I second the idea of Manyon Method for Your Marketing Message!

Stamp Happy!
      Debbie
      .-= Debbie McNeill, Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator´s last blog ..New Year’s invitation =-.

Debbie,

I cannot wait to “see and hear” more from you on social media. And thanks for the thumbs up on “Manyon Method”– I’m going to play with that a bit.

Lisa – So true and thanks for the reminder! Sometimes I think because I love my own “brilliant ideas” others will to and I don’t provide enough external proof…

Thanks for the powerful reminder!

Phil
      .-= Phil Dyer´s last blog ..Business Transformation- Great Wine and a Ridiculous Amount of Fun… =-.

7. Thanks for a great blog post Lisa. Somethings things sound so simple and yet why don’t we follow through on them? I was recently involved in a Facebook group about adding videos to your site. After uploading about 4 of the inspirational quote videos I was amazed at how many of the participants commented that as great as the videos were without including my own voice and face that they still felt like they didn’t know me – it was a great insight and feedback to be handed!
      Great stuff – keep it coming!
      Heidi Alexandra

8. Katherine C. H. E. says:

So true, Lisa! Great things to keep in mind. You are Write On! 😉 K.

9. Yes, Lisa the follow through and proof of results is soooo important. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Even though we know it, once in a while it takes a toe to the tush to make us do it with any consistency!
      Thanks for the toe!
      Lynn
      .-= Get Clear Goals with Lynn Moore´s last blog ..I’m Sick of Waiting For My Goal to Turn Up! =-.