• Goals & PlansI recently posted an update on social media sites delightfully proclaiming…

“Progress report: My Content Strategy for 2011 is completely mapped out. Now time to chunk it down into projects & get ready for the New Year”

A response from one of my Facebook friends, Idara Bassey, (and I do consider her a friend — she’s someone I’d like to meet in “real life”, thoughtful, engaging and I truly enjoy our exchange) asked

“Forgive me if you already elaborated on this in an earlier post- what exactly is a Content Strategy and how does it differ for a goal or a mission statement?”

My short answer is “@Idara it’s your overall marketing theme and messages for the year. Sounds like I need to blog about it. Stay tuned!!!”

Now for a longer explanation and thanks for asking Idara:

A Content Strategy Plan is basically a marketing road map to steer all of your marketing efforts for the upcoming year. Yes –YEAR.  I have the unique ability to quickly assimilate information, break it down into topics and put together simple ways to create the foundation of your marketing message for the entire year.  It’s another one of my Manyon Marketing Makeover techniques. A Content Strategy Plan is different from a goal or mission statement because your Content Strategy Plan is what helps you reach your goals and operate in accordance to your mission statement.

I can already hear some entrepreneurs saying “I cannot plan that far ahead.” And I say to that “BS!!”

Just because you have an overall theme for your marketing for the year, break it down into monthly themes, have a solid foundation for multiple blog posts and video scripts does not mean you don’t have flexibility to add or change the plan. It just means you have a solid Content Strategy Plan and you can have content locked and loaded and ready to go in advance so you can focus on your magic and since it’s your business, you can ultimately change the plan any time you need to.  AND ultimately you’ve planned in advance to leverage your time and resources.

Here are 11 ways a Content Strategy Plan will help your business.

Basically, having your Content Strategy Plan in place also means:

1. Your overall marketing theme is clearly defined to work with your sales goals
    2. The majority of your electronic newsletter or eZine content can be created in advance
    3. No more scrambling around at the last minute trying to decide what to write articles about
    4. You won’t have to search for blog topics you’ll have your blog topics clearly identified
    5. Video script ideas are right at your fingertips so there’s no excuse for being camera shy
    6. Everything you create ties together to skillfully promote you and your services while being of service
    7. You’re continually offering solutions to your customers problems with your marketing materials
    8. JV partnerships and other special promotions are planned in advance (making it easier to say “no” to opportunities that are not a good fit & identifying the big players who plan ahead just like you)
    9. A master plan to review, implement and adjust as necessary to ensure you’re reaching your goals
    10. Ideas to leverage your current relationships, build new relationships and stretch your own goals
    11. You are planning ahead so you can create more time and space for growth

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.  And while you’re at it, imagine the peace of mind you’ll have once you have your Content Strategy Plan in place.

18 responses to “What the heck is a Content Strategy Plan?”

I understand your content strategy plan because I saw it on your computer! Impressive. Anyone that wants to get super clear on their marketing goals and plan need to hire you to learn your secrets…because honestly I have never seen anything like it:)
      Kiyla Fenell

2. Lisa ~

THIS….is exactly why I view you as a business genius AND what sets you apart from so many other entrepreneurs. Also, this level of planning and forward thinking is what sets apart the struggling entrepreneur from the prosperous, highly-sought-after business wiz! Anyone who wants to make quantum leaps in their business MUST read your post!

Thank you for always over-delivering!
      Jennifer

Hi Kiyla,

It really is a powerful process (and yes, you did get a sneak peek). I get so excited about helping people make sense of the marketing madness. I’m offering a limited number of spaces to assist clients and they are going to be soooo ahead of the game. :)

Jennifer,

Thank you so much. You are going to love my Power Planning Process book as soon as it’s done. It really will revolutionize the way we achieve goals and plan for success. I think the world is finally ready for it.

5. Lisa
      This makes total sense. I knew I needed this the moment I read it ! thanks for the 15 minute intro call yesterday. I look forward to listening to the audio you provided and getting started….

6. I totally agree Lisa, having a content strategy is not only possible but the saving grace when it comes to organizing your schedule as an entrepreneur!

One of the biggest shifts I’ve made on my entrepreneurial path(and to be honest, I continue to make) is planning out the big vision along with the strategy to support it. Without this, everything is always in reactive mode and that is exhausting.

What you are offering creates breathing room for entrepreneurs to flower into their potential.

This is so true and I encourage people to start with the BIG vision and reverse engineer into the tangible action steps that will bring results. I do love a good plan.

7. pinky mckay says:

Wow! Lisa – I have printed this guide out. I love it -although I do break the big things into smaller tasks, I tend to race along and react at times – my ADHD needs harnessing. But now I have your guide, I have something to follow – yes my brain is already ticking flat out – here’s to a brilliant strategy for the next year!
      Im getting my paper and post it notes out to plan my year!

Thankyou so much, brilliant lady!

8. This is a great list Lisa and makes so much sense! This is what everyone needs – it is a beautiful program. Well thought out, bringing much together of what we’ve learned this year. Fabulous!!

Robin,

Yes, this is something I’ve been doing for years — goes way back to the ad agency days but now it’s more specific to your messaging so it truly connects with your ideal clients.

Thank you for setting this out so clearly for everyone. I am all about planning and strategy for your business and I love how you are saying let’s be specific and do this for your marketing plan.
      Mitch
      .-= Mitch Tublin´s last blog ..Core Business Practices Bring You Solid Success in the Future =-.

Having a specific plan for your marketing is vital to achieving goals. There is a time and place to toss ideas around and see if they stick but a plan gives you a solid foundation.

10. Perfect, Lisa! You are a living example of offering solutions to your clients!! ?
      Katherine
      iaLOAp
      .-= Katherine C. H. E.´s last blog ..Where Are You in Relation to Where You Want To Be How to Assess for the Law of Attraction =-.

Great tips, Lisa! As someone who can be a bit challenged with focus from time, to time, this layout is very helpful!

Looking forward to seeing you at SHINE!

Phil
      .-= Phil Dyer´s last blog ..Business Transformation Great Wine and a Ridiculous Amount of Fun =-.