• It’s all about a good story. AND what makes a good story stick is TRUTH…

Authenticity, true voice, and focused messaging come as a result of powerful storytelling. Storytelling is not a new technique but it’s being used in new ways. Consumers are now savvier than ever, and they want to know who they’re doing business with. The must know, like and trust you to invest their hard earned dollars.

It’s not enough to have a strong brand anymore. Your brand and brand image is still vital and important element of relationship building but it must be supported with your voice to the right people in the right way. You must be more transparent than ever, and let people know who you really are before they choose to do business with you. This concept is hard for some to grasp especially for those transitioning from corporate or “day job” scenarios to the entrepreneurial lifestyle.

There’s a misnomer that you cannot mix your business and your personal life and nothing could be farther from the truth when you’re an entrepreneur. Because when you’re an entrepreneur it’s all personal.

Simply put, you must tell your story, so people relate to you before they buy. The new marketing model is all about building genuine relationships and collaboration. That’s why many women are succeeding beyond their wildest dreams.

It goes beyond storytelling. In addition to a great story you have to have social proof. Although storytelling and transparency are huge components of copywriting trends, it’s not enough to simply tell your story. You must have buy-in. Consumers must believe your story, resonate with you, and believe that others believe in you too before they decide to do business with you. Through your story people may begin to know, like and trust you when you tell your story. They are still more likely to believe you when they have social proof and peer reviews.

While traditional copywriting formulas like including features and benefits are still relevant they are not enough to fully convince savvier consumers your product or service is for them. Testimonials do help support believability and consumers want social proof that what you offer works. Period. This means that you must not only share your testimonials and do exactly what you promise you’re going to do; you must over deliver so the people you work with become raving fans.
    Your copywriting efforts and brand must be represented in social media platforms organically with an authentic following to support any messages your marketing, advertising, and promotions are generating. Of course you need solid copy to engage the conversation and then the rest becomes viral. Think word-of-mouth marketing on the Web.
    • Are you REALLY telling your story?
    • Are you delivering on your promises and then some?
    • Do the people you work with regularly share your message with others no strings attached?
    If you can honestly answer YES to all of these questions you’re heading in the right direction. Still not sure? Read about how to showcase your Value Proposition here.
    What’s your story? Share below?

19 responses to “How Your Story and The Stories Your Clients Tell Will Help Your Business”

I have a client whose entire specialty is helping corporates find and tell their story. This is a great article, and something I need to improve upon.
      Sue P.

2. Tamara Gold says:

You are so right on target with this article! As always, insightful and great information. Thank you Lisa.

You have a GREAT story. :) Cannot wait to hear more about it.

Tamara,

Thanks so much for your feedback. So, what’s your story?

Write on~!

Fabulous point that once accomplished in someone’s business makes a HUGE impact for how people respond to marketing. Telling your story sets you apart from all other competition and it reveals to the consumer your unique value:) Suhhhweet!!!
      Kiyla Fenell

6. Lisa,
      Well-written! Your story is your secret spice!
      Dr. Robert Fenell

7. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Robert Fenell, Kiyla Bynum-Fenell. Kiyla Bynum-Fenell said: How Your Story and The Stories Your Clients Tell Will Help Your Business – http://b2l.me/axscgf (via @WriteOnCreative) […]

8. Lisa
      I’m so glad this is on your blog – I read it in your ezine and loved it! Really really great stuff! I didn’t share my story for a long time and now I do and so many people say that’s why they work with me.

My story: I once experienced terrible anxiety, social phobia, shyness and even had panic attacks. I have now healed my nutritional imbalances and get to help other women also find natural food and nutrient-based solutions for their anxiety.
      I talk about this in my workshops and teleseminars but don’t have it on my site – I’m inspired to add it and will do so this week!

I love so much of this – these are also so powerful:
      – Are you delivering on your promises and then some?
      – Do the people you work with regularly share your message with others no strings attached?

Trudy,

For a long time I hid my story and vulnerabilities and then I realized that’s what makes me real and relate-able. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I love that your story is helping so many others and it’s been so wonderful to see you really step into your own power this past year.

9. As a creative entrepreneur my story is the reason I started my business in the first place, and I find this to be true for most solo-entrepreneurs.

Our story is the essence of the business.

This is a great reminder Lisa!
      You really have a special gift for honing in on what is important, I love that about you!!

Thanks for your kind words. Our stories are truly our legacy. You do a wonderful job of sharing yours and inspiring creativity.

One of these days I’m coming to Soul Art Studio to “play”.

10. Lisa, I remember being taught that people remember the stories more than they remember what you spoke/wrote about. The stories are incredibly important! Thanks for the reminder.
      Lynn
      .-= Get Clear Goals with Lynn Moore´s last blog ..What Belief is Strangling the Goal Out of You =-.

Lynn,

This is so true and once your story resonates with someone it increases your credibility and they trust what you have to say…once again, the “know, like and trust factors” at work.

You are so on target with your post. The more stories you tell or write about the better so people get to know you. Thanks, Mitch
      .-= Mitch Tublin´s last blog ..Anyone shopping for a new pair of shoes What does this have to do with finding the right coach =-.

It’s funny how people who are just transitioning from corporate into being an entrepreneur struggle with this. I was guilty of that, too. I truly believed I had to keep my business and personal story separate but I soon realized they are very much one in the same and the essence of my being and business.

12. Lisa your writing is always on target, the power of storytelling is immeasurable I have used it throughout my own corporate career not only as part of building the brand but importantly for internal morale and team building.
      Now as an entrepreneur and leadership advocate I still find story telling to be the most powerful vehicle to get people to connect on a heart, mind and gut level.

AS they say Facts tell – stories sell!
      All the best
      Heidi Alexandra POllard

13. Linda Ursin says:

1. As well as I can right now (need to get better at it)
      2. Yes