Something has been weighing on my mind for a while now. As I look back on the evolution of my business I’m amused by the naivety that I exhibited when creating, starting www.writeoncreative.com and my “Internet business”.  And, I want to share my mistakes with you so you can gain website wisdom, learn, grow and blossom with much less B.S. (yep, I said it).

To start, “I drank the Kool-Aid*”.  The first sip was good. It tasted like success and possibilities. I was jazzed and couldn’t wait for a flood of visitors to show up to my website and want to do business with me. The Kool-Aid was kicking in but I didn’t have the right foundation to support the vision. The promises of quick, easy money online were not as promising as they had first seemed.

When I took a bigger sip of the Kool-Aid, I realized that the “if you build it they will come” mentality was killing businesses around me and so were the cookie cutter business models. Because with just a little bit of information the success formula was not complete — especially for websites. And, many of the “gurus” out there were spoon feeding just enough information to “hook” you so you’d continue to buy from them or start your own Internet business and fail because you didn’t have all the information you needed to succeed .To be fair, I’m not saying anyone was doing this on purpose. Some of the results or lack thereof were also caused by misperception of the information based on individual world view and the fact that we are each responsible for our own success(but that’s another musing in itself).

That’s why I choose my mentors wisely. And it’s why I only recommend people I know, like and trust or have personal experience with. People who tell you the truth about business with no B.S. or fluff.

Throughout this journey,  I listened to my intuition and I moved forward with an unwavering belief that I could and would create a successful Internet business to provide service to others, and of course, support me.
    I have to admit that when I first started out I thought things like:
    • This is going to be easy.
    • “Once my website is up my business will be on auto pilot.”
    • My business will always provide the same services.”
    I was WRONG. The “set it and forget it” story I received in the beginning when I just started to sip the Kool-aid wasn’t true. So, I rolled up my sleeves and did some really hard work (don’t get me wrong — I love what I do and I have fun every day but…)

The truth of the matter is:

• My business has continued to grow because of my hard work.
    • Fine-tuning my website is an ongoing processes to provide the best service possible and really work for my customers and my business .
    • My services continue to evolve with the new knowledge and experience I gain and with the needs of those I serve.
    These are just some of the reasons I stay passionate to the core about my business. I love figuring out the best way to be of service and helping others bypass many of the mistakes I made. And I love creating success…even if it does take some hard work. And, it’s why I offer specific ways you can tap into website wisdom of your own.
    1.  If you already have a website I offer Manyon Marketing Web Makeovers to help you clearly assess, define (and often redefine) your website strategy, review your website copy and headlines and offer actionable steps you can implement or delegate right away.
    2.  When you’re starting from scratch I offer 5 Page Web Copy Packages to help you create an overall strategy, individual page strategy and develop strategic content for your website the right way from the start. This is important because you’ll get really clear on your website flow and strategy before you even hire a designer(trust me this will save you time, money and many headaches).
    3.  If you’d like to do it yourself you can with my self-study course Copy to Connect and Convert with PASSION Points.

My point is, I want you stop drinking the Kool-Aid, grow quickly, learn from my mistakes and have the best resources available. As always there are many articles on my blog to help you grow your business. You’ll also want to grab your FREE Copywriting Action Plan here to make sure you’re creating marketing messages that matter.

* The reference to “drinking the Kool-Aid” is a term often used to demonstrate caution when blindly following the advice of others. No offense to actual Kool-Aid is meant by this reference.

31 responses to “Website Wisdom: Think You Can Just Set it and Forget it? You are WRONG.”

You crack me up, Lisa “no offense to Kool-Aid” LOL! This is a great article. Just like hanging your shingle out and expecting the world to beat a path to your door, you can’t “hang out” an internet site and expect millions, either. You clearly have charted a course and found the path that works for you, and that’s a great skill to have and to teach others.

Hi Sue,

Yes, I do like to have fun and disclaimers are important. :) Isn’t it interesting how the same marketing principles apply both online and offline? So many entrepreneurs underestimate the absolute importance of setting up marketing systems to really work for business. :) I know you know that but it still baffles me that this vital component to successful business is often overlooked.

3. Great article as always Lisa – you are spot on with your content here. It is so easy to set and forget – we often forget that life and business are creations – it is so easy to fall into victim mode and expect everything to be hand delivered. When in fact it is up to us to be victors in our business and take ownership and responsibility for the results we get.
      Great stuff
      Heidi Alexandra

Heidi,

I love your perspective and you are so right. If we don’t take ownership of our own success no one else will. Being proactive and strategic is the only way to really achieve your goals.

5. I do try to find as many things in my life that I can “set and forget” as possible (like my watch!!), but there are other things — like our businesses where (if we are selling ourselves) that does not work. Thanks for shining your brilliance on this topic! XO, Katherine ?
      Life Blossoming Systems

Hi Katherine,

Yes, I’m all for systems that support our ideal lifestyle. It just saddens me to see so many people being steered in the wrong direction when it comes to websites and marketing. :)

I appreciate your support and your comments and most of all the wonderful energy you share.

Amen sister…hard work and continued attention to your business is your sure ticket to success. There are ways that you can get your biz on auto pilot after many hours, years of cultivating and nuturing. Great article.
      Kiyla

8. Lisa,
      Thank you for speaking the truth and saying it like it is. I think many get caught up in the ‘build it quick scheme’ and many times it just doesn’t work that way.
      Dr. Robert Fenell
      Repetitive Strain Injuries

Hi Kiyla,

Yes, I think many people expect the “auto pilot” mode to work in all aspects of their business and that just isn’t the way it works. :)

Luckily we LOVE what we do so it doesn’t seem like so much work.

Dr. Fennell,

You are welcome and thanks for your support. Speaking the truth is paramount to success. It still amazes me that some people operate any other way.

11. Thanks for posting the most important point in this, Lisa – you listened to your intuition! I try to teach entrepreneurs that what we call ‘intuition’ is really our higher consciousness analyzing far more data points than our conscious mind can take in. And look how your intuition led you to the success [and to being the helpful mentor!] that you are today! Congrats!

Rosemary

Hi Rosemary,

Thanks so much for your kind words. Yes, I rely on inner guidance which I believe is truly, divinely driven. It makes me feel good that I’m making a difference and having the opportunity to connect with amazing women like you is even better.

You are appreciated.

13. Ellen Martin says:

Hi Lisa,

This is great! You are so right and so many people make it sound super easy to just get something up on the web and start making millions. Quick plug, my session with you was so helpful! You helped me to see the holes that needed to be filled and gave me advice that I could immediately put into action. Thank you so much!

Great article as always!

Ellen Martin

Ellen,

Thanks so much. You are greatly appreciated and it was an honor to work with you. Thanks for trusting in me and letting me work my magic. It truly is what I love to do.

14. Renee says:

I think you have capturd the essence of why people should go into business for themselves. If it’s just a “get rich quick” scheme then it’s usually set up for failure because there is no passion there to back it up. When there is passion in a business the work comes naturally and the block building and putting together the pieces of the puzzle is fun and challenging!

As always, a great article Lisa!
      .-= Renee´s last blog ..Welcome to Stylemakers International =-.

Renee,

It’s interesting that you bring up the point of “get rich quick” schemes. I have observed many people who approached business in that way and as a result their business failed. Having true passion and a deep belief in your purpose is such a great way to truly succeed. That an some old fashioned elbow grease. 😉

15. Lisa,
      As usual, you provide brilliant insight and no-nonsense guidance. I LOVE this article. It is so right-on — nothing comes without hard work and daily commitment to moving their business forward and adapting as the market and the world evolves and changes. While you can certainly find efficiency in building systems in your business, you cannot ever go on “auto-pilot” and expect to succeed. Nothing replaces hard work and perseverance.

If someone is looking for a real mentor who knows how to help them navigate the process of becoming successful in business, they need to work with you! Personally, I’ve used you for my own Maynon Marketing Web Makeover and I can say with first-hand knowledge that you are truly gifted. Thank you for bringing your gifts to the world, helping the rest of us succeed and thrive!

xo,
      Jessica
      .-= Jessica Eaves Mathews´s last blog ..The Celebrity Apprentice v. The Conscious Entrepreneur: Everything that is Wrong with Capitalism Today =-.

Jessica,

Thanks so much for the kind words. It’s an honor to work with you and you are much appreciated. It’s nice have entrepreneurial friends and colleagues who ‘get it” and help support one another along the way.

16. Grace Heer says:

Lisa, this is good stuff. I’m still learning the online end of my biz, and testing what will work best for me. I appreciate your generosity of wisdom.
      Grace Heer

Grace,

You are so welcome and trusting your intuition is part of the process. I’m glad to help in any way I can because it certainly has been a learning experience along the way. :)

17. Creating a business is an ongoing, every evolving, ever unfolding adventure.
      It is so true that you can’t just set it and forget it.
      It is more like begin it and let it unfold.

Your business and marketing insights are like arrows with great precision, hitting the target each time!

I like your reference to unfolding…that is so true of businesses. They tend to take on a life of their own and it’s up to us to nurture that life and continue to allow more growth. :)

18. Kool-Aid rocks — when digested in the proper quantity (and when you don’t let it stain your upper lip!) You are SO right — it’s a work-in-progress. But it’s too much fun to really be work, ya know? – Carmen
      .-= Carmen@GetOrganized´s last blog ..Get Organized: Do You Feed Your Clutter? =-.

Carmen,

It is almost too much fun to be work. We are blessed to love what we do and have the ability to really make a difference. Quite the win-win. :)

This post should be required reading for ALL entrepreneurs building a web presence! Thanks for sharing your wisdom and insights…I think this would make a great mini-product or giveaway with some audio ;-)!

Phil
      .-= Phil Dyer´s last blog ..Enter the Entrepreneurial “No Fear” Zone… =-.

Hi Phil,

Thanks so much. Maybe we should create a product? As if we both don’t have enough to do.

21. No, there is no quick money with Internet Marketing. It is an art in itself and to be successful we have to study and learn. It’s wonderful that you offer up suggestions to point us in the right direction so we won’t waste time and money. I’m all about learning from other’s mistakes as well as my own! Thanks Lisa
      Lynn
      .-= Get Clear Goals with Lynn Moore´s last blog ..2 Powerful Relationship Goals! =-.

22. Lisa, so true! Set it and forget it doesn’t work for much, as far as I can tell. And, even with clients who call themselves ‘raving fans’ I still keep in front of them on a very regular basis with what’s next and what’s newly developed.

Terry,

Spoken like a true marketing pro. Yes, sharing your new offerings is very important — clients, even the best clients on the planet, are not mind readers.
      As entrepreneurs our most important task is sharing information about the products and services we offer so we can help more people.

24. So true, Lisa. With a business, we cannot set it and forget it. Running a business consists of hard work, a belief in one’s self, and being on top of things.

I would like to add that having a business can be fulfilling, profitable and rewarding on many levels if we approach it the right way. If we want business growth, we need to give huge value with our products and services. In addition it takes incredible self-growth and collaboration to build a business.

Thank you, Lisa, for your consistenly good ideas.