• Inevitably there will come a time where publicity needs to be a part of your marketing mix. You may opt for mainstream media publicity or Internet publicity. Either way, you need a solid platform to promote yourself and to be accessible when publicity opportunities come your way.

Often clients will contact me to invest in press release writing services. While I’m always happy to help (I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, writing press releases), I do have to ask some questions to make sure this isn’t a waste of their time or mine.
    First, you  need to have a strategy. If there is no strategy in place then we first need to make sure the press release goals are clear before we get started. We also need to make sure the business is ready for publicity.
    If there is a strategy in place it’s usually a strategy to gain Internet publicity or mainstream media attention (although sometimes it can consist of both).

If the press release is meant to gain Internet publicity by driving visitors to your website, educating about your upcoming teleclass or event or perhaps even getting the attention of bloggers, your strategy will be different than, say, getting mainstream media attention for your newly published book.
    Regardless of your reason for wanting publicity, there are three foundations you need to have in place before you issue your press release – no matter what your strategy.

1. Web site: Your website needs to be clear, concise and portray your business in the best way possible. Think of your website as your welcome mat for clients, customers and the media. Is it inviting? Do you make a clear offer to show visitors what their next step is? If you’re not sure, you might consider investing  web strategy copywriting solutions from Write On Creative. We meet you where you are because you either need web copy, have web copy that needs help or you’d like to create effective web copy yourself. Explore your options here.
    2. Online Media Kit: The Online Media Kit is the new industry standard, especially if you’re interested in Internet Publicity. Online media kits saves time, money and hold all of your important information and qualifications that the media, event promoters/coordinators and anyone wanting to do business with you might need. You can have your web person create a media page for you but I recommend Instant Media Kit. You view my online media kit here. If you’d like more information about Instant Media Kit, follow my link.
    3. Professional Bio: Your bio is an important tool for your publicity efforts. In fact, it’s important to have several options available depending on your needs. If you’re being considered for a television host position, you might need a long bio that tells all about your journey. If you have a speaking engagement booked you may need a short bio that gives a highlight of your qualifications. If you’re a guest on a teleseminar a mini bio is all that’s needed. So, I recommend that you craft a long, short and mini bio.
    To recap, when you’ve decided you want publicity, you need to have a strategy and a solid website, an online media kit and a professional bio. Once you have all of these items in place, you’re ready to get the publicity you deserve.

17 responses to “Three Ways to Prepare for Internet Publicity Before You Submit Your First Press Release”

1. WOW! Lisa! Such great information once again. Thanks for the tips. ?

2. Lisa, I’d like to put my entire business in a box and leave it on your doorstep. When it’s all fixed you can call me to come and pick it up. Great content! I’m really getting the hang of this ‘delegate’ stuff! Thanks,
      Lynn Moore

Lynn may have written the post first, however I was mailing everything to you at the Post Office. It will be there on Mar. 12!!! Thanks again for your
      clear concise tips.

Katherine,

You are welcome. Glad to help. I am truly passionate about being of service and helping others share their gifts with the world.

Lynn,

I am happy to assist in anyway I can and would love to discuss ways I can help. After reading the tips, what is the one thing you feel you need to start with?

Hi Mitch,

Excellent. I look forward to receiving it! As you know, I love working on copy,press releases and marketing strategies. So bring it on! By the way, what is “it”? Just curious what you’d like to get started on first? 😉

You always offer very clear and very useful information for those of us who need to build visibility and presence on the web and elsewhere. Thanks for the solid, helpful information, Lisa.

8. Excellent Lisa!

I can see where I need to focus my energy right now so I am more media ready!
      Thanks

Thanks Laura,

Yes, it does take some preparation but it’s so important to be ready when contacts do come your way — regardless of your strategy. First impressions do count — I know you know that!

Let me know if you have any questions about where to start & I’m happy to answer them.

10. trudy says:

Hi Lisa
      This is such excellent advice and very timely for me as I’m working on my first book – and it looks like I need to start getting some things in place now (like the online media kit). I’d love to use your services before my next big presentation in April ….will be in touch

Lisa – Strategy first? We are talking about entrepreneurs :-p!

Great post and advice…simply taking a few minutes to think through the who, what, when, where, how and why before getting into action around something can be very powerful. I really appreciate your thoughts!

Phil Dyer
      America’s Entrepreneur Strategist™

Hi Trudy,

I am absolutely happy to support you. I’ve worked with several authors with great results. :)

I look forward to connecting soon.

Hi Phil,

Exactly and because many entrepreneurs are idea people, it’s a great idea to have someone on your team who can help with strategy.

To begin with there needs to be a solid foundation to build your PR from. Then having a sound strategy for your overall publicity comes next. Plus, it’s a must to have an individual strategy for each press release you send, etc.

Once the process is incorporated in the overall marketing mix, the formula for success can be repeated. This is the basis of my Proven Publicity & Online Press Release System.

14. Lisa, WOW – again, simple, clear and concise information. I am beginning to think you write for a living! :) I second (third) Lynn above – about to put whole business in a box and leave it for you…

Terry,

Feel free. I’d love nothing more than to support you and ensure you have a solid foundation for publicity success.

I really appreciate your support and feedback.

Don’t hesitate to let me know how I can help you.

Write on !~

16. I have not heard of the Internet Media Kit before. I have bookmarked this site to come back to when I start to put more focus towards press releases. You always offer such valuable information. I always look forward to coming back. Thank you Lisa.

Christine,

Yes, Instant Media Kit is an amazing service. I am in LOVE with it. Having all of my materials in one, handy spot has really made interviews etc. a breeze.

Thanks so much for checking it out and for your kind words.