• One of my passions is reading and passing on information that I find valuable and that I believe will help you be more successful.

Social Media Success

I absolutely loved David Meerman Scott’s book The New Rules of Marketing and PR and he doesn’t disappoint in World Wide Rave. ~ Creating Triggers That Get Millions of People to Spread Your Ideas and Share Your Stories.

This book has become a trusty reference guide and source of inspiration. Dog-eared pages & multiple sticky notes peek out to remind me of new projects and ways to really engage and build relationships with social media.
    While I’m not going to give you all of the content, I will share some points that really stuck with me and I encourage you to add this to your learning library. Especially if you’re still mystified by social media. Trust me, you need to dive in NOW. To start, my personal tip is to be you and be authentic. With that being said, here are some things I love about what Meerman-Scott shares.
    First, I love the use of the word “rave” in the title. Think about it…do you want people to “rant” or to “rave” about your business? While it’s true that people share negative stories regarding customer service and brand experience far more often than they share the good things – I think we all strive to be a business person that receives the “rave.
    Some of the key points Meerman-Scott shares:
    • Nobody cares about your products except you (it’s true – they care about what you or your product will do for them).
    • Offer something for nothing (not a new concept but a new approach – ditch the “opt-in” in some instances & be of service).
    • Engage your audience – don’t talk at them – talk with them (incorporate video, conversations and feedback in what you do).
    These points are crucial to your social media success. Often traditional marketers, both Internet and ad agency types, jump on the bandwagon of social media and damage their brands and reputation by using traditional or direct response techniques. This not only alienates people you should be building relationships with (potential clients, customers and colleagues), it’s a clear sign that you haven’t done your homework. Not a slick way to win new business or build relationships.

I’ve actually received a lot of flack for giving away a free press release template, too. My traditional mentors say I should be selling it. I say it’s a relationship building, lead generation tool that comes from the heart.Check it out for yourself and let me know what you think. http://www.writeoncreative.com/pressreleaseproducer (feel free to bookmark it or add a desktop shortcut for ease of access).
    The bottom line?! Do what feels right to you. Grab a copy of this book and start building social media relationships the right way. And, most important, be of service.

14 responses to “A Peek Into David Meerman Scott’s Book “World Wide Rave” and Ways You Can Be Successful With Social Media”

I’m also a fan of David Meerman Scott. Thanks for picking out the salient points of his second book and sharing them, Lisa. Good tips about doing biz with good attitude!

2. Lisa, this is a gem of a book by what you tell us. Methinks I need to get it! Those 3 tips alone are worth it. I also very much like your approach to customer relations. Good for you for being your authentic self!
      Lynn Moore

Hi Sue,

Yes, he’s amazing. I did a review on the The New Rules of PR, too and he actually commented on my blog. The bummer is when I did the upgrade he comments were lost. Urgh. Honored none the less.

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the feedback. I truly believe that more people need to tap into their own instincts in business. While there are tried and true formulas for success — your own success depends on your personality, ethics and approach.

Definitely grab a copy of this book. You’ll love it.

5. Lisa,
      I am an avid reader, and haven’t read this yet, so thank you for the recommendation and great summary of some of the highlights. It must be a sign from the universe, because my theme this week has been about being authentic and staying true to who you are. Sounds like this book will fit nicely into that, so I’d better read it immediately! :-) By the way, I love that you give away the PR template — you are so clearly about building genuine relationships and being of service. So refreshing and inspiring in today’s world. Thank you!
      Jessica

Lisa – Love those tips! Thanks so much for sharing this great resource with us…it will go onto my growing “to read” book pile ;-)!

Phil Dyer
      America’s Entrepreneur Strategist™

Hi Phil,

Excellent. I like to add them to my Amazon.com wish list. When friends and family want to know what I would like for b-days, etc. I opt for the Amazon certificates. Knowledge is power.

8. Lisa,

Love the points you make here. And appreciate the generosity you show in sharing your favorite resources!

Terry

Hi Terry,

It’s all about being of service. I’m glad this helped. I love to provide resources that have helped me.

10. Hi Lisa, thanks for sharing this resource. I have not read this book, but look forward to as I am very active in social media. I agree with giving away value to build relationships. Your press release tool is an incredible gift. Thank you!

Hi Christine,

I think you’ll really enjoy this book. There’s some great info on creating custom widgets and I know you’ll dig that!

Also, thanks for the kudos on the Press Release Producer tool. I’m getting great feedback from that, too. :)

12. So funny that just this morning I picked up on our shared love of books and then happen upon your blog!! I can definitely see that I must get a copy of this book! Sounds truly helpful and transformative. You are a true treasure, Lisa! I am very appreciative to know you! ?

13. Trudy Scott says:

Thanks Lisa – I’ll have to check out this book. I too love your press release too and say well done for giving it away. It will foster good relationships I know.

Thanks so much, Trudy.
      You are appreciated as well. Glad you’ve found value in the Write On Creative Press Release Producer. It feels good to be of service.

And, you’ll love the book, too. So many fantastic tips.