• Once you’ve determined that you have something to say to the press or specific online prospects, you’ll want to issue a press release or news release in accordance to your overall press release strategy.
    Press releases are relatively simple to write. However, there is a specific formula that you must use or you could damage your credibility. Plus, it cannot be sales-y. Your press release must actually contain news, which by definition is previously unknown information.
    Many media outlets prefer 2-3 weeks advance notice to cover an event. At the same time, the Internet has greatly changed the way releases are distributed and has opened new areas of opportunity. You can distribute your message online much faster. Often online distribution sites also circulate to specific newswire services.
    When compiling your press release information, keep the following in mind:
    1. Keep the release short; no longer than one page. (This only applies to traditional media releases. Online releases can be a bit longer. Just remember, reporters are busy. If you’re after traditional media exposure, be respectful of their time.)
    2. Open with an attention-grabbing headline. (consider character length – i.e. less than 140 characters for Tweeting with links)
    3. Include the release date (month, day and year) and the city and state of origin.
    4. If you want your information considered immediately, indicate “for immediate release”. If you want the media to wait for a specific date, indicate that as well (i.e. for release Valentine’s week –Note: not all media outlets will embargo your news).
    5. Include specific contact information and be accessible. Telephone numbers, cellular phone numbers (depending on strategy), e-mail addresses, fax numbers and website addresses help the media reach you easily.
    6. The opening paragraph is your introduction. What is the purpose of the release? Why is the information of interest? Be sure to keep your readers attention (remember reporters are busy people — make their job easier)
    7. The second paragraph should include the details. This is the “Who, What, Where, When and Why” of the release. It’s a good idea to include quotes from credible sources that support your information.
    8. The third paragraph is where you make a case for your final point.
    9. Finally, include a company bio or boilerplate. This is a description of your company, your products and your services. Use the information commonly shared to describe your business or service.
    10. When writing your release, know who you are writing it to and why they might be interested in running your story. Be clear about your purpose.
    11. Close your release with this symbol ### centered at the bottom of the page (this signifies the end, and is proper formatting).
    To make this process easier for you in the future, feel free to use this free tool I’ve created. You can pop your information into the Write On Creative Press Release Producer and hit submit to get a perfectly formatted press releases. Be sure to add this as a shortcut on your desktop for easy access.
    • Do you have a press release strategy?
    • Are you regularly sharing your news so you can in turn share your gifts with the world and help more people?
    • What have you or your company done lately that’s newsworthy?

Remember, your publicity efforts should be a part of your Content Strategy Plan. Here’s more on why that matters — click here.

22 responses to “Press Release Basics For Internet Publicity Or Mainstream Media Submission”

Thank you for such an information packed post.
      Plus you offer a free, ready to use release format!
      Great Stuff,
      Mitch

Hi Mitch,

You are welcome. I’m excited to share my tips and tools because I know they work.

Have fun with this and let me know if there is anything I can do to support you.

2. This is an extremely helpful article Lisa. I am excited by the idea of your press release tool. However, the link supplied doesn’t seem to be directing to it unless I am missing something. Could you check it out?
      Thanks
      Lynn Moore

As usual, your articles are full of great information, Lisa. This is so useful as a checklist for those who do press releases or delegate it to someone else to do for them. Thanks for sharing such meaty information.

You are welcome. Take the Write On Creative Press Release Producer for a spin and let me know what you think?

I always value your opinion and I’ve been told by some of our mutual mentors that I’m absolutely CRAZY to be giving the tool away. I’m OK with crazy as long as I feel good about what I’m doing.

5. Lisa – how generous – great information and a tool to use as well!

Hi Terry,

Yes, I hope you enjoy the Write On Creative Press Release Producer. Getting good feedback and would love yours.

7. Awesome Info, my wordsmith friend!! ? Thanks for sharing.

Lisa –

I am totally “process-challenges”, so this article is so helpful in laying out a step-by-step blueprint for crafting and connecting with successful press releases.

Great info!

Phil Dyer
      America’s Entrepreneur Strategist™

9. Such simple and powerful advice.
      Thanks Lisa!

The key thing that I thought of while reading through your post is the idea of being clear about your purpose.
      I think if you’ve got that down, the rest falls into place.

10. This is such a wonderfully informative post that I posted it to both of my Twitter accounts. Thank you for sharing!

11. Trudy Scott says:

Lisa – Great article and very very cool tool. I tried it and created my 1st press release for my forthcoming book The Anti-Anxiety Food Solution due out January 2010. Great tool to see the possibilities but I obviously need an expert like you to do the real deal – I’ll be calling you…

12. Trudy Scott says:

Sorry, due out January 2011

13. As usual, your posts are so informative but this new tool that you have created and have decided to share is amazing. Thank you! I will be sharing this with my colleagues.

Yes, strategy and purpose is so important. Often people will tell me they’ve tried leveraging press releases and claim it didn’t work for them. When asked about the plan and strategy, they simply didn’t have one. BINGO!
      Clarity is so important.

Denise,
      Thanks for your support. Always happy to share information with real value. :)

Trudy,
      Congrats on your book and taking your first crack at a press release. I’ve been working with quite a few authors lately and definitely have resources to help when you are ready.

Christine,

Thanks and right back at you. I love your informative videos and online marketing strategies. Valuable content is where it’s at and it’s clear that you are here to be of real service.

Fantastic tips, Lisa…you continue to provide such amazing content. Thanks so much for you generosity in sharing your knowledge and wisdom!

Phil

Hi Phil,

You are welcome and feel free to share…it’s all about sharing your gifts with the world you know? 😉

20. LUKE Kennedy says:

This is a special quote. I am THE worst wrongdoer of typing up half of the page. No matter what, it always runs away from two.